יום שלישי, 26 באוגוסט 2008

95. Ride Report 1001 Miglia Italia

Hello,

Ride report for 1001 Miglia Italia 2008. (Hebrew)



This is a very long post, and I don't know how many of the readers will have the patience to read it thoroughly.
Anyway, it has lots of information, and I'm not sure that the whole picture could be comprehenced on first read.
Names are hidden with nicks, some background at the end.

Ok, let's start with a prolog...
Arriving (Thursday) wasn't as easy as I expected. Even though I paid for an overpriced ticket (regular, not charter or cheap,) El-Al chose not to cooperate and not save me a seat, and leave me in stand-by (and in tension) until after the gate was opened, then I was given a seat.

When I arrived at the hotel, reception told me that "some of my friends are already here, and they're building their bikes."
The hotel is sometimes used by racing teams, and recently Astana was there, and there's a picture of Contador which they're proud of.
The hotel has a large parking basement, which covers the whole footprint of the building. Of course there was a Ferari Testa Rosa. Red.
There were already 3 friends. One of the (Brit_1) I knew virtually very well, and in fact we've already "chatted" about this ride.
The others were American_1 and Brit_2.
Their bikes were already built, and I built mine.

On the next day (Friday) we decided to ride around the area.
The choices were either Lake Como (without climbing to The Church,) or Lake Maggiore. I preferred Maggiore, because it meant less climbing.
When we left, we saw Brit_3 arrive in a car. His bikes were already built, but he didn't want to join (he camped for a week near Como, and had a rain on his last day, so he wanted to dry them.)
On the way out rain started. At first it was just a drizzle, but slowly it got stronger.
When we reached Sesto Calende it was already raining heavily. We stopped for a bite, and drink some hot drink.
Brit_2 wanted to return by train, since he rode in from the UK, and he wanted to rest.
Brit_1, American_1 and me wanted to reach the lake proper. I was still toying with the idea of reaching Stresa.
When we got to Arona, we stopped by the promenade (which was empty...) and we took our pictures in the rain, and then decided to head back.
On the way back the rain stopped, but there were still large puddles, and the cars splashed and made us wetter.
Brit_1 described the rain as "Buckets of water." if *He* is saying that's what it was, who am I to speak?...

Brit_4 arrived on that day. In the evening we all went to a chef restaurant, and let American_1 order.
After querying the chef, 2 bottles of wine were ordered from a place in Tuscany which I don't know, around 30-40 Euro a bottle.

On Saturday we were already more than 10 rides, and we rode to Decathlon to buy essentials which were missing to the riders. I bought tights.
In the evening Italian_1 arrived, and told us technical details about registration.

On Sunday morning we rode to registration, there were dozens of riders there.
Registration went easy.
Suddenly someone saw my bike, who stood at the corner, and starting taking pictures, and discuss how folding works, etc.
One of the Italian volunteers started talking with me. He told me his grandfather was a rider (climber) and got a TdF podium in the 1930's.
He still has his grandfather's genes, and he climbs as well as he did (although he didn't look like a classical climber...)
The rider in the 1001 pic is that grandfather of his, so we had our pics taken by that poster as well.
We returned to the hotel for final setups.

In the afternoon we rode back to the start, for the pasta meal and the ride.
The organizers announced a last minute change in the order of starts.
At 21:00 the 100 hours riders will start, and then the rest of us in groups of 30, in 10 minutes intervals.

- -

I started at 21:40.
Each group had a different pace car, some classic car. We had an old Fiat 500.

We were off.

I tried to stay with the front peloton of the group, to have some spare time for later. I decided to stay with them as long as I feel is ok.
The peloton was led by Brit_5 and Brit_6.
The road was straight inter-city, and the pace was 32-35 kmh.
The tarmac wasn't very good, and were the right wheels of cars usually go there was cracks and holes.
Right from the start it was evident that the riders have a lot of experience, and the peloton worked well, in 2 columns, with changes. Everybody rode close to each other, and it wasn't hard staying with them.
In one of the potholes the bottle fell from its cage (a cheap 2 GBP cage.)
I stopped at the side, and after the peloton passed, I went back for the bottle.
I decided I'll try to return to the peloton it won't be too hard.
I rode around 40 kmh, and after a few minutes I was back with the warm and protecting peloton.
We reached the 1st Control, at 99 km, after a little more than 3 hours, at 30.3 kmh.
We stopped for 15 mins for water, pee, and went on.
The pace was now a little slower, because we stopped for navigation from time to time.
We rode to the 2nd Control at 26.7 kmh. There was nothing there, so we continued immediately.
To the 3rd Control we rode at 26.4 kmh, to the 4th at 26.9 kmh, and to the 5th (Savignano) at 24.1 kmh.
We arrived there at 15:00 (i.e. 421 km in 17:20 hrs! My personal best. In fact, many riders broke their personal best for a 400 km.) and I stopped for 1:20 hrs, because I wanted to rest a little before the mountains.
For comparison: Brit_5 continued after 15 mins...

I left the Control without my friends (they kept on sleeping,) but there were others riders around.
In the route sheet I saw the name of the village that we need to pass through, and I remembered tat we need to climb to San Marino.
It was a mistake, and I shouldn't have climbed to San Marino, but to reach that village through a small road that was easy to miss.
I climbed to San Marino with German_1 and German_2. It wasn't easy at all, but I knew it was to be expected.
When I reached the top, I didn't see any signs with the village name, and I started asking around. People told me I was waaay off.
I called the organizer, which gave me an alternative route to get to Control 6. That route included several considerable climbs which were in the last Giro (according to the markings on the road.)
Eventually, I got to Control 6 at 01:15, about 2-3 hours behind my friends. I saw Brit_8 and Brit_7.
The Control was a gas station with a small cantine. It looked like very small Loudeac (of PBP fame) - Bodies were all over the floor and chairs, some were in tents outside.
I spent 3 hours in that Control. I slept 1 hours sitting down (like in Loudeac 1 in PBP.)
When I decided it was time to leave, I asked Brit_8 if he wants to join. He said yes, and then several others joined. We were about 5 riders when we left.
Besides me and Brit_8, there were Brit_7 and Brit_6, who didn't look too well. Italian_2 was there as well.

When we left at 04:15, it was freezing cold (for me... The Brits were wearing shorts,) and I put several layers on.
The way out of the Control was a long climb, and I couldn't keep up with the others (Italian_2 was even slower than me.) Half way up I stopped to peel off some layers.
After the climb there was a long descent, with a left turn, where my friends waited for me.
I didn't expect them to wait for me, and it was a nice surprise.
The road was wavey, and then there were several climbs in the Marche Region.
When there were short 12-15% walls, the riders stood up, and continued the same pace. I was saving my strength, and kept pedaling sitting down, and a small gap would open, which closed at the next small descent.
On the last climb I saw Brit_1 waving to me ahead of me. At the end of the climb you could see Lake Trasimeno at the bottom, which was an amazing sight.
We rode quickly down to the lake, and got to the Control at 08:00.
We stopped for some food, and then went for the 1st drop bag. I showered (freezing cold water,) and changed.
I met Brit_3, Brit_4, American_1 and Italian_1. They left when I arrived. After them left Brit_7 amd Brit_6.
I spend about 1:30 at that Control.

At first I rode alone, but there were 2 other Italians visible ahead of me.
We reached a junction with a right arrow, but I said it doesn't fit the route.
I rode about 200m to see if there was another arrow, but there wasn't any, but I felt it was the right way to go.
The Italians decided to turn right at the 1st junction.
I asked a local, who confirmed my feeling. The Italians were too far to hear me calling them.
The road became hilly, with some walls here and there, and it was hot (at least 38 C.) Then Fin_1 caught me, and we rode together till the next Control.
He told me he too went off route at that junction, like many others.
When we were nearing the Control (according to my computer,) there were about 3km to go, and I saw a village at a top of a hill.
I said to myself: Could it be? A European village at a top of the hill, and not down by the river?!?
Apparently it is!
So we climbed to Todi, were we met everybody else.
Brit_8 collapsed, and the organizers wanted him to quit, but he said he'd go on.
Fin_1 asked me to wait for him, and I agreed, wasting very expensive time.
We left the Control together after 1:10 hrs.

The next leg I rode with Fin_1, who again wasted time at the Control.
All this time I thought of Pitigliano, which should be reached at dawn.
Towards the control in Corchiano there was a furious head wind for a few km.

The ride to Pitigliano was tight! I rode there with Fin_1, and I kept looking at the clock.
When we reached the bottom of it, it was clear it won't be an easy climb.
An Italian peloton caught us, and I started to fear I won't make it in time.
I rode with the Italians, and there was a spring to the top. I got in 2nd, and made it to the Control with 15mins to spare!
I had a quick bite, and left.

The leg after Pitigliano was amazingly beautiful!
Fortified cities on hilltops, riding through forests, hills and valleys.
The last part of the leg was on a main road, with lots of cars and trucks, even some tunnels.
Somehow, Fin_1 was before me, and I met Brit_3 and Brit_4.

The next Control was in a village, where the 3 of us went to a local supermarket.
Each bought his own food, and we sat on the sidewalk to eat.
A mother and girl went by, and the mother moved her child to the far side and did a big circle to go as far away from us as she could.
Then another mother did the same...

Now the route went into Chianti. I was riding alone, because they were faster than me in the climbs.
On the last climb (long, a few km till the Control) I was passed by French_1, who told me to draft on him. I couldn't, thanked him, and said we'll meet at the Control.

In the control was my 2nd bag. I showered (hot water,) and slept for about an hour.
I left the Control with Brit_3, Brit_4, Brit_7 and Brit_9.
I managed to stay with them in most of the climbs (they were pretty tired by now,) but at one point I couldn't keep up, and I continued alone.
To my sorrow, I arrived in San Gimignano at last light, and couldn't enjoy its beauty in daylight, but even at night it was a sight to remember.
The 2nd part of the leg was a long fast descent.

The next Control was supposed to be a pizza place in some piazza in Forcoli.
I arrived there after 22:00, and the locals told me that the Control is actually 3 km away, in the next village.
I rode there and saw everybody (Brit_3, Brit_4, Brit_7, Brit_9, Fin_1, Italian_2, and German_1.)
It was after midnight, and I said we should sleep. It was cold, and I didn't want to sleep outside.
Brit_3, Brit_4, Brit_7, Brit_9 decided to go, and sleep wherever they fall of their bikes.
Italian_2 said he'll find us a place to sleep.
He talked with local teenagers, and one of them agreed that we'll sleep in his garage, for 5 Euro each.
We said Yes. he garage was across the street, and there were 2 mattresses there, soaked with car oil and hair of a dog or a cat.
German_1 slept on a chair, and Brit_8, Italian_2, Fin_1 and myself slept on the mattresses.
We slept for about 2 hours, and when we woke, our host made us coffee.

The 5 of us rode together. It was a main road, so we rode in single file.
Italian_2 kept on riding among us (sometimes at the front, in the middle, or the back,) and tried to have us work together.
We reached the next Control in Castenuovo together. The Control was in the middle of the market, and we had to walk our bikes.

Again the 5 of us left together, and we started the long climb to Passo Carpinelli.
Italian_2 said his friend has a hotel-restaurant towards the end of the leg, and he wanted us to have lunch there.
The climb to Passo Carpinelli was hot (38 C,) without much shadow.
We went through many villages, and we stopped at the Fontana in one of them for water.
A friend of German_1 went by, and asked him how he was, and he replied:
Wasser gut, alles kaput.
We're still laughing...

Then German_1 climbed faster than us, and now we were 4.
We arrived at the hotel, ate, and even showered.
The 4 of us reached the next Controle, Brugnato, together.
It was a patch of grass next to an Autostrada entrance.
There were cots there, and Italian_2 wanted to sleep, so we stopped there for 1:30 hours.
There weren't enough cots, and I slept in the organizer's van.
When we left we saw Brit_1 arrive.

The next leg was supposed to be one of the hardest. It had 3 long passes (more than 10km long, 5-8% each.)
In the middle of the leg, Italian_2 wanted to rest in a cafe, and I wanted to keep on going.
So Fin_1 stayed with him, and I continued with Brit_8 and Brit_1 who arrived at the cafe.

After the last climb, when we're all tired and sleepy, we reached the next Control, Passo Pianazze.
It was an Austrian-German hotel at the mountaintop. I slept there more than an hour.

From there I left with Brit_1, Brit_8, Fin_1, and Italian_2.
The road wasn't easy, with many hills with some steep walls (over 10% for several hundred meters.)
So we couldn't keep together, and I met German_1 again.
We stopped for a bite before the climb to Passo Penice.
We climbed in mid day, with temperatures above 35 C. The German kept on saying Ich bin kaput, and I told him he's been saying that for several days now... We both laughed. :-)
The Italian are resurfacing this climb these days, and in one of the sections there was fresh asphalt.
Because of the heat, the asphalt hasn't hardened, and tiny stones glued to the tyres. The wheels even dug in, like riding in a sandy beach!
After that section we stopped to clean our tyres. I took off some of the tiny stones, but not all.
I kept on climbing, and then I was passed by Fin_1 and then Brit_8.
At the top was the Control, and we all met.

I left with Brit_8.
Fin_1 and Italian_2 (who just arrived) stayed to rest.
Brit_8 complained that his knee hurt, so we stopped at a pharmacy to buy an elastic bandage.
The leg went quickly, and we reached the next Control, Castellania, where we met Piero, a relative of Fausto Copi.
We had our pictures taken, and I showed him how the Brompton folds.
The area is full of short but steep hills. I guess that besides genes, to also need to know where to born, so you'll have a natural practice grounds...

The organizers told me to stay with Brit_8, because of his collapse in Todi.
They said that the last leg from here is very easy: Stay on road number 129, and you'll have a tailwind all the way.

We left, hit the main road, and started riding on it. There was tailwind, and we rode fast.
Suddenly I notices that the villages names weren't familiar, and the road number was 120, and not 129!
We stopped for directions, but nobody knew road 129, but they guided us towards the villages we were supposed to go through.
In the end we found the route, and kept on it.
In one of the places, the organizers stopped us, and asked me whether Brit_8 had any collapses, and I said no (which was true.)
They said we should take an alternative way, because the original route goes through unfriendly places at night: Keep on THIS road for about 20km, till THAT place, turn right there, and continue with the route.
So we took that road. We saw a sign with the town's name to the right, and turned. Then there were no more signs with that town's name, or any other town in the route sheet.
It was pretty late, and there was nobody to ask directions.
Suddenly I saw a couple walking, and I asked them. They gave me a general direction, and we found the route.
From there we continued with the route sheet and the arrows.

When we came close to the finish I was about 50 meters ahead, and I stopped and waited for Brit_8, and we went in together, to the cheers of the organizers.
We got the same finishing time.
The organizers said that Brit_1, Fin_1 and Italian_2 arrived together a few hours earlier.
The organizers looked relieved when they saw Brit_8 safe at the finish line.

- -

 arrived at my hotel at 06:30, set the alarm to 08:30, for breakfast, but woke at 17:30 with the alarm off.
I don't believe I had breakfast at the hotel that day...

In the evening I went with all the Brits and American_1 for dinner. We shared stories, and said "See You"...

- -

Data:

Total Time: 126:40:00
Gross Speed: 13.0 kmh
Ride Time: 86:56:23
Ride Speed: 19.0
Distance: 1651.31
Max Speed: 64.9

The fastest leg was the first, 98.57km at above 30 kmh.
The slowest leg was Leg 16, which included the 3 passes, at 11.9 kmh ride speed.

- -

Notes:

*) Top riders were at this ride. Most of them rode at least one 1200km, if not 5 or more...
"Regular" riders (those that PBP is the pinnacle of their lives) didn't show up.
Whether they feared of the route, or some other reason.

It also meant that we had serious pelotons.
At the 90hrs PBP start, it's frightening to ride in a peloton, because you can't be sure how good and experienced the other riders are.
(I guess that in the 84hrs, surely in the 80hrs starts, things are totally different...)
In contrast, in the 1001, the peloton behaved very well. We ode above 30 kmh for hundred of kms, in two columns, with changes "by the book."

*) The arrows and the route sheet were according to the European standard for directions.
i.e. You're only told when to turn right or left. Otherwise keep straight.
It can be confusing (e.g. Where is "straight" in some junction?) or make you uncertain (e.g. "I haven't seen an arrow in quite a while, and I still on course?")

In PBP, I guess because of the heterogeneity of the riders, the marks are much more user friendly.
Each junction is signed, and sometimes with a sign saying which is the wrong way.

*) The 1001 is at least one level above PBP.
Apart from the route, it was evident by the riders and the organizers' behaviour.

About the route - Control opening times are not easy (being stepped, according to the times in shorter brevets.)
Total ascent was above 22,000 meters.

*) knowledge of the local language halps. Most Italians don't know English.
The minimum is being able to ask (and understand) directions.

- -

Riders mentioned:

Brit_1: JS. Rode in every PBP and LEL since 1989. Did many 1200km (and more) rides in many places,
Usually rides slow, so can be treated as a back marker - If he passes you then you're in trouble!
Will always finish, always within the time limit.
Usually does 90 hrs PBP, but in 2007 registered to 84hrs PBP and finished in 84.

Brit_2: P. Rode to the event from the UK.

Brit_3: CP. Made of steel. Did Marathon des Sables. Rode with a GPS, which saved him and Brit_4 from going off course.

Brit_4: S. Scottish.

Brit_5: M. Rode PBP in 62 hrs. Did a phenomenal time in a 24 hrs race a month before the 1001.

Brit_6: CW. Rides an Airnimal with 24 in wheels. DNF'd at the 9th Control.
He didn't feel well at the beginning of the ride, probably something he ate, but then felt better.

Brit_7: JS. A female who rides a 70 hrs PBP. Very fast. Used to race. Was the AUK champion in some year.

Brit_8: PT. Fast rider. Was the AUK champion in some year.

Brit_9: Y. Rides with Brit_7.

American_1: RC. Did several 1200km, the last was in the US 2 weeks before the 1001, in 72 hrs.

Italian_1: TL. From the Audax Italia organizers.

Italian_2: RF. Owns a tratoria in Torino. A typical stereotypical Italian.

German_1: Did 3 PBPs, several other 1200km events, Fjord ride in Norway, rode from amburg to Naples (1965 km.)

German_2: Friend of German_1.

Fin_1: JS. Did 3 PBPs, and several other 1200km events.

French_1: A good rider. Rides beautifully, a sight to the eyes.
I enjoyed riding behind him and see a master at work.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה